Saturday, February 10, 2018

591/1038 - One-pot cabbage soup

There has been a lot of cabbage consumed in our house lately and I lay the blame for this squarely on the shoulders of my husband. Whilst planning the execution of the cabbage parcel recipe (previous post) I added the following to our electronic shopping list;

Green cabbage (whole)

Simple, right? Well my husband thought he was pretty clever buying me two cabbage halves...because two halves make a whole, right? Except that cabbage parcels are pretty hard to make with half-sized cabbage leaves. Fast forward and my fridge contained not one but two cabbages waiting to be turned into something fabulous.

So first came cabbage parcels and then a couple of nights ago I resurrected Stephanie's cabbage and anchovy salad (still wonderful). This soup was next on the list and even my boy who is not a huge soup fan was happy with the result.

We made a successful return to the Queen Victoria Market in the early hours of the morning (our first for 2018) and one of my big scores was a half kilo of meaty off-cuts which was largely bacon pieces with some of this and some of that mixed in. I used it in place of the slab of bacon listed in this recipe and it worked beautifully. It was of course a bonus that it cost only $3.50. Proof that a wonderful meal does not need to cost the earth.

LOVED this one x

No comments:

Post a Comment