Tuesday, January 20, 2015

407/1038 - Grilled coriander pepper chicken

I am not very good at buying presents for my husband, but a couple of years ago I outdid myself in the surprise stakes. The main reason my gift giving is stunted is because my husband and I tend to buy whatever we want, whenever we want it. So for us, gift giving is about those things that we have not got around to purchasing or simply haven't thought of yet!

Some months prior to Christmas he had purchased a cast iron chiminea, which quickly became our favourite place to roast potatoes and marshmallows. I found out that that there was a barbecue /pizza oven attachment that could be purchased and voilĂ ! his Christmas present was sorted. 

We have since had so much pleasure from this gift, from pizza nights to wonderful barbecues such as this. Tonight's chicken was dissected by me and smothered in a lovely mix of pepper, coriander, garlic, salt and lemon juice. The recipe specified lime juice but unless we are planning to drink Coronas I rarely have limes to hand. I can vouch that lemon juice is also fabulous!

The result was incredible, with the chicken meat remaining moist and the skin turning fabulously dark and crunchy. The boys were more than impressed and through mouthfuls of chicken, my husband I were caught giving one another small nods of approval across the table.

Even better is the stock I am currently making with the remainder of the carcass.

Risotto tomorrow night methinks x

No comments:

Post a Comment