Saturday, August 23, 2014

352/984 - Apple yeast sugar tart

For the last few months I have been regularly baking friendship cakes for my family. While they have all been amazing, I thought it was time to try out a different dessert!

I don't know why, but this recipe has never appealed to me. Perhaps it is the word "yeast" in the title that put me off, not being an ingredient that when named, gets my mouth watering. 

The crust was easier than pastry to make, mixed and kneaded like bread dough and left to rise. It was then pressed into the flan tin, where it puffed up again prior to the addition of the apples. I cut the apples into sixteenths rather than eights given that they were on the larger side. 

I accidentally set the oven to fan-forced and so after the first ten minutes of cooking my crust was already toasty and brown. I covered the tart with foil for the remainder of the cooking time, but of course this meant that the cream did not caramelise as it should have. 

Enter the blowtorch! 

We absolutely loved this tart and it was declared one of the best I have made. The crust was amazing and worked beautifully with the perfectly cooked apples. Love, love, loved this!

No comments:

Post a Comment