Wednesday, December 12, 2012

218/656 - Date and walnut biscuits

 
Social media is great for connecting with new people and I regularly chat with strangers online, usually about all things food! But until a couple of months ago I never imagined I would be busily mailing sweet treats to three people I had never met. Enter The Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap.

The rules of the swap were simple; make three dozen cookies and send 12 to each of your selected matches. I made 37 of these beautiful biscuits (an extra one for tasting of course!) and sent them off to Amanda from Chewtown, Faaiza from Modest Munchies and Erin from Cut the cookie. It's a nerve-wracking thing sending your cooking to foodies you have never met! 


In return I was lucky enough to receive three wonderful packages myself. Two varieties of  beautiful shortbread from Sara of Belly Rumbles, three varieties of traditional Chinese cookies from V Vien of We Dare Food and cranberry and white chocolate cookies from Daisy of Never too Sweet. A whole lot of yum going on in this house at the moment!  


I used some old Leunig wrapping paper to wrap my cookie gifts. I have been hanging on to it for years waiting for the right time to use it and this felt like a special enough occasion.  

I normally don't post recipes, but of course I have made an exception this time so that the deliciousness of these biscuits can be experienced by all. 

Date and Walnut biscuits 
250g dates, stoned
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
75g butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp sour cream
175g plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preheat oven to 180° C (350° F) and grease baking trays, or line them with baking paper. Cut dates into pieces using scissors (I used a knife) and mix with walnuts. Cream butter and sugar (in a thermomix if you have one!) and beat in eggs until light, then beat in sour cream. Mix a third of the flour into the dates and nuts to coat them well. (I spent some time making sure all of the date pieces had been separated and coated at this point.) Combine remaining ingredients and stir into egg mixture with dates and nuts. Drop spoonfuls of batter onto baking trays. Bake for about 10 minutes until browned. Cool on a wire rack.

What a fabulous experience. Many thanks to Love and Olive Oil for making this fun Christmas activity possible. Bring on Cookie Swap 2013!

10 comments:

  1. I am so glad the cookies arrived and you enjoyed them :) Was such a fun event to participate in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara your cookies were great! The lemon version was my favourite x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved these cookies, couldn't keep my hands out of the container. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Faaiza! No problem at all, what a lovely compliment x

      Delete
  4. oooooh love the toasty looking edges! it is quite odd sending such lovely parcels to strangers - and oddness i LOVEd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Muppy! It definitely is a lovely thing to have participated in.

      Delete
  5. These were fabulous! Thank you so much for sending them through. I loved the combination of date and walnut. I think you might be encouraging me to get my Cooks Companion book out again!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda, great to hear it! Would love to hear if you pull your Cooks Companion out again...and of course to see some pictures of your exploits x

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you got them!! :) Was worried about... everything! hehe
    Your cookies sound and look AMAZING!! Can't wait to try your recipe!!! :D

    ReplyDelete