Sunday, October 7, 2012

203/656 - Jerusalem artichoke soup

I love the fact that Jerusalem artichokes do not come from Jerusalem. Even more amusing is that they are not even artichokes. As the Food Companion International magazine did for kangaroo meat, I think there should be a competition calling for a new name for this long misrepresented tuber. 

Name aside, I have a soft spot for anything with a nutty flavour (including nuts) and so was looking forward to trying out this soup. It was simple enough but I confess I fell down a little when I reached the straining stage. I used a strainer that was clearly not adequate for the job so while the soup that passed through was creamy and amazing, some of the mash remained on the wrong side of the strainer, lumpy and defiant.  

It was evening and a work night so I must confess I gave in to the stubborn little pile of mash and decided to keep the unstrained portion aside, to be served the next evening alongside a lamb roast.  

There was option to use either stock or milk as the soup base and I opted for milk, which according to my youngest made the soup "creamy and delicious". Sprinkled with freshly grated nutmeg and thyme (no chives on hand I am afraid) it was absolutely wonderful 

And the mash was great too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment