Saturday, August 6, 2011

19&20/1038 - Mexican ceviche (with fresh tomato sauce)

I am sure ceviches were invented with the lazy cook in mind. Chop up the fish, tip it in a bowl of lime juice and throw it in the fridge for a couple of hours until it is "cooked". Drain, toss in a few more ingredients, and voilà you have a meal! It was almost that simple tonight, except that one of the ingredients in this version is Stephanie's fresh tomato sauce, so I had to use the oven after all. 

I was true to the recipe except for swapping mild chillies for Jalapeños to give it a bit of extra kick. To my amazement the boys ate every bit and there were no complaints about the heat or the number of tomatoes on their plate.

The bonus of the night was the left over tomato sauce which I plan to slather over a poached egg or two in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment